Public Perspective Out Now - Closing Loopholes – IR Christmas Present
Workers received a major Christmas present with the Albanese Government securing the support of the Greens, Lydia Thorpe, David Pocock, and the Jacqui Lambie Network in the Senate to pass the first Closing Loopholes Bill.
These changes include:
- New rights for labour hire workers (same job, same pay)
- Criminalising and increasing fines for wage theft.
- Strong new rights for workplace delegates
- Stronger workplace safety laws, including industrial manslaughter and better rights for injured workers.
- Protections for domestic violence survivors, and
- Redundancy rights for those working in small businesses.
The Government has also committed to finishing the job and passing the rest of the Bill early this year.
- Better rights for casuals
- Rights for gig workers on digital platforms
- Better rights for truckies and those in road transport to stay safe.
- More support to stop wage theft.
The union movement will not stop until the job is done.